Brush and Bag Collection Policy
Village of Poynette Yard Waste Program
Brush and Bag Collection Policy
The Village of Poynette establishes the following restrictions on its curbside collection of tree limbs, branches, brush, bagged grass, and bagged leaves/garden waste; collectively known herein as “yard waste”. The yard waste collection service is part of the Public Works Department’s services and consists of a towable chipper, truck, skid steer, and manpower. This service is available eight (8) times per year. Other collection times as needed due to storms or other acts of God will be determined on a need basis by the Director of Public Works or his or her designee.
The purpose of this program is to set up acceptable procedures for yard waste collection in the Village of Poynette. This “Brush and Bag Collection Policy” replaces all prior written or unwritten policies of any part of the governing body or employees of the Village of Poynette.
The intent of establishing the Village of Poynette yard waste collection program is to provide a uniform understanding of priorities and procedures used for collection.
Following is a brief discussion of the key elements of the Village of Poynette Yard Waste Program. As may be expected, considerable time and effort are spent in preparation and planning prior to the actual collection being performed.
Determination of Need for Collection
Collections are scheduled (8) times per year. As a general guide collections are scheduled for the first Monday of the following months: April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November.
The only exception to this schedule is in the month of November, the Public Works crew will pick up bagged leaves only on the first three Mondays of the month.
All yard waste must be set out by 7:00 a.m. of the date scheduled for the start of collection, but no earlier than one week prior to the scheduled collection. Failure to do so will result in your items being left until the next scheduled pick-up date.
Please be patient as the collection may take several days and is done as quickly as possible. Inclement weather, volume, and mechanical problems may also create delays.
It is suggested that you refer to the Village’s website or public postings for specific collection dates.
Try planning your trimming around the scheduled pick-up to eliminate having yard waste out for long periods of time.
Private Contracted Services
No Yard Waste will be collected from any private resident, residential lot, vacant lot, or commercial property where a contractor has been hired to remove any tree or shrubbery materials. This also covers a private property owner who is clearing a vacant lot.
Requirements of Materials Accepted or Unaccepted
Items not collected by the Village:
- Rootballs or stumps
- Brush cleared or cut by contractors
- Logs larger than 8” in diameter and longer than 10 feet.
- Any type of lumber, including construction lumber, railroad ties, landscape timbers, fence post, or other processed wood products.
- Items resulting from construction projects and land clearing are not covered by this service.
- Bag with materials other than grass clippings, garden debris, leaves, and small sticks or twigs.
Brush pile requirements:
- Brush piles are to be no larger than 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall by ten feet long. ( 4’x4’x10’). Property owners are allowed two piles that are within the requirements.
- Large tree limbs should be no larger than 8” in diameter and no longer than 10 feet.
- Material (sticks) smaller than ½” in diameter need to be placed in a container or bag for collection.
- Materials 4” to 8” in diameter must be trimmed of small branches and cut into pieces no longer than 10’. Such branches must be stacked neatly at the curb in the same direction running parallel to the street.
- Brush piles shall not block sidewalks, fire hydrants, or crosswalks. They should not be stacked around utility poles, fire hydrants, electrical or telephone pedestals, and mailboxes.
- Yard Waste (Brush) must be free of all metals and trash.
- If materials are set out improperly, they will not be collected. A tag will be placed on the material with the reason why it was not collected. The material will only be collected when it meets policy requirements, at the next scheduled collection.
Once your area of the Village has been collected, the crew will not return until the next scheduled collection date. Due to varying conditions, specific days of the week cannot be projected for each neighborhood. The collection is conducted in the most expedient methods possible, but inclement weather, mechanical issues, or emergencies may create delays.
January Christmas tree Collection
The Public Works crew will provide a Christmas tree collection on the first and second Mondays in January. Trees will need to be placed out by 7:00 a.m. of the scheduled collection date. This will be subject to weather conditions. Winter operations will take priority over the Christmas tree collection.
Comments regarding the Yard Waste Collection Program should be made to the Public Works Department during normal business hours, which are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at (608) 635-2122 ext.221.